Monday, March 24, 2008

This and that

My apologies for missing my Sunday post; I had a wonderful day at my brother's for an Easter Egg hunt with my niece and utterly lost track of what day of the week it was! (One would think I would make the connection between Easter Sunday and Sunday, wouldn't one?) Madison is now 2 1/2 years old - such a cute age. She recognizes me and knows my name now, and is such a sweetie. She's still tiny so still doesn't fit into some of the clothes I've made her, but they'll fit someday, I'm sure. Aren't they a beautiful family?

I got a sudden bee in my bonnet to make something for her for Easter, and decided to make her a poncho using some very bulky chenille from Lion Brand that my sister in law had passed on to me. I used Barbara Walker's directions for a top-down poncho, and made a drawstring neck so it would be sure to be able to grow with her for a while. With the large gauge and size 11 US needles it was a fast, fast, fast project. I started it before lunch on Saturday, and finished it after dinner, including taking time out to go to the grocery store, get my car washed and the oil changed, and a few other errands. Sometimes, fat yarn and big needles are really, really great.


In my last post I completely forgot to mention anything about what I had worked on at Bodega Bay. I usually take knitting and spinning with me so that I can be independent of electrical outlets and perfect lighting, as that tends to be in short supply. This was the perfect opportunity to start the Hex Coat from Knitting Nature. Thomas gave me the book for Christmas 2006, and then gave me a very generous gift certificate to my LYS for 2007, which I used to by a whole bag of Cascade 220 to make the coat. I got a nice amount done on one side of the front - here it's just about up to the armhole shaping.



My other project was to spin more of the deep brown Perendale roving that my Dad brought me from New Zealand a while back. I already had 2 bobbins spun up, and managed to complete 2 more over the BB weekend. I now think I have enough to ply up into an amount of yarn that's actually enough to do something with. Now I need to move onto the cream merino roving that he also brought me. I'm looking forward to finally making something beautiful with this wonderful wool.

1 comment:

VickeryKnits said...

I can't wait to see your jacket--and your niece is such a cutie!